My mandatory items for summer travel in an HMA

Suggestions from members about what you need to take with you when going to an HMA to be more prepared and for a successful visit.
Michael

My mandatory items for summer travel in an HMA

Post by Michael » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Spring and summertime in an HMA can be a very inhospitable place to be. Typically most HMA's are not in lush forests, on in moderate temperature zones. They are in desert regions, many times consisting of sagebrush areas where there is a lack of large tree cover. This creates additional concerns in preparing for a trip into one of these areas.
  • 1. Water. You will need more than you think you will need. Take 50% more water with you than you think you need, at a minimum. It is better to be on your way home with a little extra, than to be out in a desert environment without adequate water. Dehydration, heat exhaustion can come on dangerously quick and be an immediate threat to your life. Never skimp on your water supply. I try to have half my water in 1l bottles that I have frozen prior to departure. These are good sources to keep other items cool in your cooler and also provide a refreshing glass of "ice water" as it melts. These frozen bottles can also be used for first aid should ice packs be needed.
  • 2.First aid kit. I keep a 10 person commercial contractors first aid kit in my vehicle at all times. You never know what may happen. They are called accidents instead of "planneds" for a reason. Most emergency services will be many miles away. Being able to stop bleeding or splint broken bones can make a huge difference. Minor cuts and scrapes that can be properly taken care of immediately will add to your enjoyment while out on your search for the wild ones also. Along with first-aid supplies, bug sprays, sunblock lotions, and insect bite preparations should be included. I also like to include a foil type survival blanket, it can help protect you from the sun, as well as from the cold at night in the desert.
  • 3.Shade. There is not an abundance of shade in most HMAs. Cover from the sun, most times will be by way of something you create to get this break from the sun. Umbrellas can be useful, however, I carry a small tarp in which I can create a temporary shade structure with the use of my vehicle, or if trees are available, trees. Even in a dire situation in a sagebrush area, creating a low level shade structure over the tops of sagebrush may be enough to save your life, just remember you need airflow also, so keep opposing sides open for good airflow.
  • 4. Food. Take a lot of food. You are going on an adventure, enjoy it along with your favorite foods. I tend to go with less extravagant meals. Simpler foods that don't require a lot of preparation and that are easily prepared. I do know of people that go with foods to prepare fantastic feasts, including steak and lobster! You will be using more energy while in your search for wild horses, burros and wildlife. A good tasting, relaxing meal can really make a difference in your physical and mental well being, making it an even more enjoyable memorable experience. Also, if something were to happen and you found yourself in a situation where you are stranded, having extra food will definitely be needed and appreciated.
  • 5.Clothing. Daytime temperatures can be very warm as you can imagine. Dressing for this weather is important. This is a desert environment, and there are some inhabitants, plant and animal, that will test your clothing choices.
To be continued in a little bit, stay tuned....

Return to “BE PREPARED!”